Family Ties 2 Days Tour
$265pp 7-16 years
Free6 years and under
This is a KTB Signature Experience tour recognized by the Kenya Tourist Board in 2020 as offering a unique, exceptional and authentic travel experience.
Family Ties is a rare opportunity to visit two grassroots Kenyan communities and to share in amazing experiences together.
In Kenya families living arrangements are often multi generational and a man may have up to 4 wives. The wives and their families generally do not live together (except in the case of Masai families) and this is quite common. In Masai family's, children may refer to each of their father's wives as 'their mother'. That's life in Kenya.Book Now Enquire Now
We are a proud member of
The International Ecotourism Society
Which brings together individuals and organisations committed to helping local
communities and the environment.
We'll take you to two communities that travellers seldom visit and the highlight of Family Ties is the genuine interaction you will experience, the shared experiences you will uncover and the stories and laughter.
You'll also see how Kenyan families are merging contemporary ways with the.
Masai Family Ties
Clan Elder Daniel and his family host you at their traditional village in magnificent Masai country.
- Spend time with Masai mothers and help them build a new family home from sticks and mud
- Share lunch with Masai warriors, who'll answer all your questions about Masai family structures
- Learn ancient skills such as spear throwing and how the Masai live off their land
- Enjoy a Masai dance class
In the evening we’ll host you for dinner at one of our favourite Nairobi restaurants.
Kikuyu Family Ties
Grandma Helen hosts us at her rural home and we meet her family.
- Visit a One Horizon education and nutrition centre to experience One Horizon's children's programs
- Learn to cook a traditional Kenyan lunch with Helen's daughter and it share with grandmas at One Horizon's Field Kitchen
- Tour Helen's pig farm and pitch in with the chores if you'd like to
Helen's a graduate of our farming program and now runs a sustainable business that sees her stress-free and her grandchildren well cared for. Her family's generational cycle of poverty has been broken and now Helen offers peer support to other grandmas as they enter our program.
- 1 night accommodation at Le Maison Royale – 4 Stars includes breakfast
- Dinner with the One Horizon team at a Nairobi restaurant on Day 1.
- Light luncheons daily and unlimited fruit, tea, coffee and water.
- Air conditioned car transfers - each day we'll collect you from your hotel at 9 am and drop you back at about 5 pm. On the days that include team dinners, we'll pick you up at about 7 pm and return you to your hotel after the evening's activities.
- One Horizon staff with you every step of the way.
Julie and John, Australia
My husband and I were so lucky to spend the day with you to visit (the Masai village). The trip wasn't what we expected but went way beyond our expectations and is now a highlight. We posted on Facebook and so many people reacted as we did with joy, happiness, pride and sorrow... and everything in-between! Everyone wants to talk about the story of (our host) and are in awe of what she has achieved, and your initiative. Our family love the beadwork and I wish I bought more! Safe to say, we won't be forgetting Eunice, Emily, Solomon (who could forget Solomon!!) and Carol anytime soon. Thanks for the great day.
Thank you to the One Horizon team for 2 amazing day tours - they were real highlights of my trip.
Well I have to say is this is an amazing tour I had the best fun. In reality I think this is the best thing I've ever done in my life. My tour guide, she was amazing driver was amazing and I enjoyed it to the fullest.